.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

June 07, 2005

Apple loves Intel

It isn't that often that you'll hear me talk about computers or any of the other forms of advertising that we have surrounding us today.

I've seen Bob's posts about Apple using Intel processors recently. This alliance was confirmed as fact today.

This is something of a bombshell to many, I'm sure. A bit like the church signing up Satan as a bouncer.

It just occurred to me that this will be a godsend for copy protection. At last there will be the opportunity to apply some sort of foolproof universal copy protection in hardware, right there in the processor.

There has also been some talk about potential upgrade paths and the impact it will have on sales of Apple workstations, but I don't think anyone upgrades hardware anymore. It's just cheaper and less problematic to buy new kit. And it sweeps out all those bugs.

I suppose that they will have to supply some sort of emulation for apps compiled to run on the old G5s: a sort of OS X unClassic mode. But Apple aren't always that kind, are they? They like their customers to move with the times, even if it means employing an electric cattle prod up the jacksy.

I think that we're probably still a long way from Dell PCs running OS X. On the other hand, the Intel logo might help them get kit through the door in all those corporate server rooms.

Hmmm. It doesn't feel that long since Apple's marketing used the alleged superiority of the PowerPC chip over Intel chips as a significant selling point.

Interesting times. This is almost like 9/11 for some geeks.

5 Comments:

  • I've had two "Doh!" moments in the past couple of days. Last week I was completely convinced by those who argued that Apple could never do this and survive as a hardware company. Those arguments seem to have been gone away for now, though.

    My first Doh! came when I thought about notebooks, and the increasingly obvious fact that Apple/IBM were never going to be able to fit a G5 chip into a laptop design. Which means PowerBooks would become more and more the sign of a fashion victim rather than a discerning computer user. So that's one big reason to go to Intel.

    My second Doh! concerns what Simon mentions here, the hardware copy protection. Of course the major studios were never going to allow Apple to have an iTunes-for-Movies without some form of hardware copy protection, some way to nodelock a download and have it expire, or whatever. Which forces their hand and makes them go to Intel.

    But in the end, hardware doesn't matter does it? It's always been about the software - and as long as I've got 24 audio tracks and plenty of plug-ins, I'm happy.

    By Blogger bot37363838, at 8:45 am  

  • Sorry, must add this.

    Reading around the web, the people who amuse me are the ones who say, "I'll seriously consider switching to Linux," or: "I think a lot of people will just switch to Linux."

    As if. I was talking to Simon about Linux earlier today and he said, it's great when it works, but then it stops working for no reason and you spend 3 days trying to sort it out.

    The other thing I'd say about Linux is that most Mac/Windows users would shit their very pants at the installation stage, let alone actually "switch" to it. It's just a kneejerk something-to-say-I-must-sound-intelligent kind of statement from the terminally ill-informed.

    By Blogger bot37363838, at 8:59 am  

  • Indeed, I get the sinking feeling whenever the "L" word pops up in polite conversation with people about server installations.

    It's just too hairy on the whole, and I used to be a Novell Master CNE and deal with CLI servers.

    By Blogger SimonHolyHoses, at 9:05 am  

  • When the news was reported in the L.A. Times recently, there was a funny tidbit in the article...Jobs was talking about the change and rhetorically asked the audience he was speaking to, "So, where does this lead us?"

    Someone piped up from the back, "Down the road to hell!"

    By Blogger Twinmama, at 10:20 pm  

  • Heh. And at that moment, I bet Jobs' eyes glowed red as he suppressed a surge of rage and retracted his claws.

    By Blogger bot37363838, at 2:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home