.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

June 03, 2005

Estate Agents and other professionals

This must be a tired subject, but I'm about to have a moan about estate agents.

This morning I received a letter, delivered to me a day late by one of my neighbours, with the wrong address on it. About the sale of our house.

You won't know that my wife and I have already telephoned the estate agents 5 times to ask them to correct the details they hold for us so that they have the right address.

They are either incapable or unwilling to correct the error though.

Fortunately, they are capable of sending a letter to our solicitor, printing 20 sheets on a colour inkjet, putting three of them in a shop window, making 23 telephone calls, and sending a valuer to our nextdoor neighbour's house in error before he realised and called at ours to ask us how much we thought the property was worth and agreeing with that.

It's fortunate that they can do all those things, because otherwise the £2500 fee they are charging might feel like a waste of my money.

2 Comments:

  • Oooh. Don't get me started on Estate Agents. Stepped out of my front door the other day to find a would-be buyer standing in the rain, stood up by the estate agent. So I showed disgruntled person 'round house. Still no sign of sharp-suited crook. He never showed. Way to sell a house! Thank you. That's what we pay you for. No, please. Have 2 per cent of the value of my house. Go on. It's on me.

    What value do they add? I'd love to seen an economist's analysis of what would happen if they were just stripped out of the economy and society altogether.

    By Anonymous Rafael, at 2:19 am  

  • As a wise national newspaper's blog often says, "It's what the internet is for."

    We need a Blogger/Flickr for selling houses without Estate Agents. Unfortunately, I'm too feckless to know how to do it.

    I'm still reeling from the fact that my house sold last year for a cool fifty thousand pounds less than the valuation of first two estate agents. So we had to borrow £50k more than we'd planned, having already committed ourselves to the move. I love those people.

    By Blogger bot37363838, at 3:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home