.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

December 01, 2005

Advent calendars

Remember them?

They used to be exciting: the sense of anticipation: what would be in the picture behind the door?

It took me years to realise that behind the double doors of number 24 there was always a nativity scene. I guess I was about 12 before I noticed a pattern developing.

My parents continued to buy me a calendar long after I grew up, and only stopped when I had my own children.

Of course advent calendars are different now.

The scene on the front is likely to be a picture of feckin Josh Stone or someone, in her pants, and behind each door is a pound of chocolate, so that every single day in December sees the kids trembling, unconscious, on the kitchen floor face down in a pool of brown liquid that smells like chocolate parmisan.

4 Comments:

  • BWAH!

    I HATE advent calendar chocs... bleugh...
    PS once had an eastern European advent calendar that went to Dec 25...

    By Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg, at 10:36 am  

  • Dec 25th?

    That is exotic, isn't it.

    And in an odd way having the climax on December 24th does seem somewhat premature when you think about it.

    By Blogger SimonHolyHoses, at 3:29 am  

  • In France, we do actually open the presents on the 24th, and xmas day is a bit of a nothing day really. no boxing day, either

    By Blogger bot37363838, at 3:41 am  

  • Well they used to say that in England we opened our presents on Boxing day. I don't know whether that's true or whether it was just a folk-explanation for the name of the day (boxes of gifts).

    Personally I prefer to believe that the day is so named after a propensity on that day to engage in naked pugilism a la Alan Bates and Ollie Reed.

    By Blogger SimonHolyHoses, at 4:23 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home