.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

December 19, 2005

Macca at Abbey Road

Watched something on telly the other night. Paul McCartney at Abbey Road, with his acoustic and some various gadgets from the past that looked like props from Quatermass or something.

In spite of the fact that I couldn't avoid suspecting that it was all a clever marketing ploy to promote his new CD, I actually found it genuinely enjoyable.

Some funny tinkerings with 4-tracks and looping over-dubs, that help you to understand just how piss-easy it is to record music now compared to the old days.

Weird too that there are people around who were there at the beginning. Not many fields in which you can get first hand accounts of history, although in these twilight years I think that their perceived importance will fade.

There was an undeniable creepyness about it too. You could almost shiver at the ghosts passing through the valves and wood in the studio.

4 Comments:

  • I recorded that, but don't know if I'll get around to it, given the wall-to-wall Tanya Byron festival in our house.

    Saw Macca on Parkie, though. Seemed a bit defensive and out-of-sorts, really, nowhere near his thumbs-upness level of old. Makes you realise that Linda's death probably really took it out of him. Death of Linda and media obsession with exposing his current wife as a hoo-er or something.

    By Blogger bot37363838, at 8:36 am  

  • Yes, he's starting to show his age a bit now too. There was a certain tremulousness in his voice at times, and I'm not absolutely sure, but at first he looked nervous.

    Fiona said, "he's ill. There's something wrong with him. He doesn't look well at all."

    By Blogger SimonHolyHoses, at 9:46 am  

  • Just watched an hour of it, and thought it was interesting and quite inspirational. Lovely to hear all the old stories at first hand.

    I don't think he's ill. He's been on tour, and his speaking voice is shot, to an extent, because I thought he had a cold when he was on Parkie, but he sounds the same at Abbey Road.

    I just think that he's toned down the thumbs-up act, having had his character assassinated after John wa really assassinated; and then again when George died; and then again when he married whatsername, Heather.

    You can hear it on a couple of the songs on his new record, how he's a little bit more suspicious of people now. I remember seeing him on Parkie years ago and thinking how absolutely comfortable he was with his fame, what a class act he was in comparison to just about anybody else you saw on parkie, apart from the stars of the golden age of Hollywood: the Jimmy Stewarts and the Robert Mitchums.

    But I think he's too aware now of how so many people seem to hate him just for being ambitious, commercial, and clever.

    The truth is that the Beatles would have been shite without McCartney in the band, and I've grown to respect him more and more the longer I've lived - from a starting point of thinking he was a wanker when I was 18

    By Blogger bot37363838, at 1:11 pm  

  • I reckon he had a cold or something. I also enjoyed the show, though partly expecting self-promotion, it seemed to be a lot more performing to the people in the venue.

    I hope they repeat it, because I only caught part of it and find the simple good ways that some older music was made some what more immediate than now engineering vocals by the syllable.

    By Blogger rashbre, at 2:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home