.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

December 28, 2005

Snow and other fun

For the first time in living memory it snowed last night and settled on the ground.

I went to work today. The roads were all covered in ice. Unfortunately our office is located at the top of a hill. I tried three different roads up. Failed each time.

First one, I gradually slowed to a halt with my wheels spinning. Even crawling as slowly as I could without stalling failed to provide any traction. I rolled back into a driveway and went back down the hill. At the bottom my car slid straight out into the main road. Fortunately nothing was coming.

Second one, I didn't even get that far. Managed to roll back slightly into a reverse turn and turned back onto the main road.

The third one was even worse. It was a narrower road with lots of parked cars. I got further up, and I thought I was going to be alrighert, but sure enough I slowed to a stop, with the car going sideways as the wheels span on the ice (towards the parked cars). I had no option but to go into reverse and let the car edge back down the hill. Again, at the bottom, the car just slid out uncontrollably yet gracefully into the main road.

I ended up parking quite some distance from the office.

By then I was shaking, because it isn't nice to be driving a two ton lump of unsteerable metal. I was thinking that there was something wrong with my car; the tyres?.

But as I walked towards the office I realised that I was not alone. Lots of my colleagues were in the same boat.

It seems that anyone with a two-wheel-drive car any heavier than a nippy lady's hatchback couldn't get up any of the hills round our way.

1 Comments:

  • Snow joke, huh?

    Interesting that the Snottingham "N*w B*sford Industrial Area," which is packed full of small and medium-sized businesses, doesn't warrant a visit from the Gritter Fairy.

    I remember following a Jaguar of some kind last year: rear wheel drive. Hilarious. They should make BMW demonstrate the "superiority" of rear wheel drive on days like that.

    Anyway, sometimes I wonder why more people don't carry snow chains in their cars. A little security blanket for the odd snowy day, and a day of smugness, when you get up the hill and others don't.

    By Blogger bot37363838, at 1:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home