.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

September 09, 2003

I still don't want one

Macworld UK - 40GB iPod launched

Make no mistake, for people who have a need for that kind of thing, the iPod is undoubtedly a nice thing. I've no objections to it on grounds of looks or size or weight - or even the fact that Sun journalists and Beckhams now have them.

But I only really listen to music in my car, in which I already have a CD player. What I like about CDs is being able to keep the vast majority of my collection in one place, and the ones I'm playing at the moment in another. You see? It's not about having thousands of songs all together. It's what it's always been about: there were the records you had neatly stacked away, and the ones you had all over your bedroom floor.

That's why I like Clutter.

I've always worried, too, about the life of the iPod's battery. The first generation was a bit dodgy, and I'm sure they've improved it, but I'd feel a lot happier if it was just NIMH AA batteries that you could easily swap out.

I know that many people wear their iPods on the street, but I am concerned for their safety. The only guy I ever knew who was mugged happened to be wearing a walkman, with his hands in his pockets. He didn't hear them coming and then he couldn't get his hands out of his pockets in time when they knocked him down. I don't jog, I cycle, and the thought that I might not be able to hear the cars coming up behind me on country roads is terrifying.

Kids: you need your ears to survive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home