.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

April 27, 2004

Allison Moorer

Allison really is prolific, which is something I admire. It doesn't seem that long since her last studio album, and it definitely isn't long since we had the Show live album and DVD.

But here she is on a new label, with a new sound. I'd say it's as guitar-heavy as her second (and so far best) record, The Hardest Part, but (as the bio indicates) it's got a more raw, dirtier sound. There are distorted guitars here, but no "country" instruments to speak of. It's guitar, bass, drums, piano, and vox. Is it a country record? Absolutely, even if the most country thing about it is her red hair, these are the kind of songs you won't find anywhere else. I love a pedal steel, and I love to hear fiddles and mandolins and banjos in a mix, but more than anything I stay in the country section for the songs.

She sings her own, which makes her unusual; and they're good; and she does them justice with her extraordinary voice. The guitars on here are great - and the arrangements are spare and spontaneous. The single, "All Aboard" is fucking brilliant (you can hear it on the home page of Allison's site).

3 years ago, I noticed that Ms Moorer was playing a gig at a pub down the road. I'd not heard her records yet, but I had one on order. Still, the idea of going out drinking in Snottingham was anathema to me, so I skipped it.

What an idiot.

=====
UPDATE: On this site, you can download a recent gig in MP3 format. It's bootleg quality, but has a certain atmosphere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home