.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

November 02, 2004

Seinfeld DVD

Got my Seinfeld DVD box set yesterday - seasons 1-3. I've been looking forward to this, because like a lot of people I missed huge chunks of it due to the BBC2 random scheduling and the British TV industry's complete inability to grasp the fundamentals of audience building.

I have vague recollections of a couple of the early ones, which makes me proud that I didn't start watching in season 4, like I have with quite a few other things.

Season 1 seems weak, relatively speaking. The characters aren't there yet; the stand-up is patchy and the audience laughter in the stand-up scenes is obviously forced.

The biggest complaint I've seen is about the slap bass incidental music, which everyone seems to hate. I wouldn't buy it on record you understand, but because it means "Seinfeld," I still like it. They use it way too much, but then so do they in "Friends" and all the other yank comedies. I mean, that piano in "Will and Grace" is non-stop. Talk to me again in 14 hours, after I've watched it all, and I'll let you know how much I hate the slap bass then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home