.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

July 08, 2005

Playtime is over...

The whistle just blew in the playground, which means morning break is over and it's back to lessons.

Due to the road closures necessitated by Bernie Ecclestone's blackmailing of the organisers of the British Grand Prix, I'm working from home today. My route to work is closed, and the alternative is also the alternative for just about every other route you could think of, so my employer agreed I could work from home.

And I'm loving it. My concentration level today is actually higher than normal. I was at my desk at 8 o clock this morning (as usual), and I've got through quite a lot of the work I brought home already. My work phone is diverted to my mobile, and I'm online with my email, remotely-connected to the office MIS system, and also logged into our Basecamp project management account.

I got up an hour later, had a leisurely rather than a rushed shower, an unhurried cup of tea, and my commute to work was about 10 seconds. Tonight, I can leave my desk at the normal time and be home one and three quarter hours sooner than normal. How fucking cool is that?

It's a pleasant day. The sun is shining through the window of my garage/studio/office, and I can hear birds singing outside, the caretaker mowing the grass in the school next door, the kids playing in the playground, and the engines at Silverstone when they're running (at 11 am I should hear the F1 cars at their morning practice).

I can use my own loo, unsullied by people who eat too much curry and don't know how to clear up after themselves; and to cap it all, I just made a cup of tea in my own teapot with my own tea leaves and properly boiled water.

If I did this just one day per week it could save me around £750 in petrol costs, not to mention nearly 8000 miles on my poor car and poor hips and other joints. £750 is around 6 guitars from the John Hornby Skewes range, a family holiday, or a top-of-the-line Gaggia coffee machine and some beans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home