.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

October 25, 2005

Which Book Are You?

This story about people buying books just to look intelligent interests me, not least because it's something I've never done myself.

It does remind me, however, of an odd period in my youth, when women who were interested in me would inform me of the books they were planning to read. This is largely because they were attracted to my intelligence, rather than my physical beauty, so they were trying to find a path to my heart through my brain. Needless t say, I've always longed to be loved for my looks, (as if that was ever going to happen), so I wasn't terribly impressed. Sadly, I found these confessions of literary ambition more embarrassing than anything, the intellectual equivalent of someone throwing their knickers at me.

Fascinatingly, it was always the same book; a book I've never read, nor wanted to read: War and Peace. Hugely flattering, I think, that these girls wanted to impress me with the biggest, fattest, book they could think of; and something of a relief that it wasn't Lord of the Rings, which I have in fact read.

About four times, this happened, between '82-ish and '85-ish. Of course, these days, women tell me that they're thinking of reading the novelization of the film Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

1 Comments:

  • take it from me, being loved solely for one's looks is overrated.

    i have never bought a book to look intelligent, but i have refrained from buying a book because i thought it would make me look dumb.

    By Blogger roy, at 10:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home