.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

March 24, 2004

Rinse, repeat

I've probably mentioned the subject of playing to death before. I've a tendency to leave CDs in my car for a long time, only swapping them when I actually feel rage to hear a particular song come on again. At the moment, I've got Faith Hill's Cry on heavy rotation - worse than that, I tend to play the first two tracks. I've also got Kelly Willis and Joy Lynn White, still, and I couldn't tell you what's in the other slots right now.

Amazingly, I don't listen to the words or anything. CJ asked me this morning, "Did that song have the word blue in it?" I had no idea. Of course, it had, and quite prominently, but (in my own half arsed and entirely non professional capacity) I'm tending to listen to the mix, the overall sound of the song, and not paying attention to much else. Except. Obviously, on some deep level, I'm respondng to melody and performance, because I prefer some to others.

This came into my mind this morning, as I was messing around with my guitar and harpmonica. There's a song I like to play when I'm in the mood to have a good blowout, and it's "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" by Bob Dylan. But not the Byrds version, the quirky, different, Greatest Hits Vol. 2 version. I play it through and then, without pause, just start over again from the beginning, about 5 times in a row.

But I gotta say, I love the sheer insanity of the Basement Tapes version (it's the middle set of lyrics on the link above).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home