.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

March 23, 2004

trad jazz

A meaningless title, not what I meant it to be, because of a typo. Sometimes my fingers just won't cooperate, sometimes I type like the wind (...would type, if the wind could type). And that's the way it is with a true Spaniard. Can't remember what I originally meant now.

I meant before now to have posted PSoML episode 5 (is it? I need to check), but I have had other things going on. My time at home for putting together 1000 words is shared with my time for printing out photographs, making iMovies, and recording and mixing. Needless to say, it's impossible to fit everything into the 20 minutes I have to myself in the morning or evening.

This week I have been experimenting with Lyson Small Gamut inks, trying to create some toned black and white prints on Lyson's satin paper. Not a great deal of success so far, it has to be said. You have to arse around with settings in Photoshop more than you'd really want to. Mainly, the silk paper has a texture that works really well for enlargements but not at all well on 6x4 prints.

Once you've installed a different inkset in your printer (Epson Photo 870, since you ask), you are of course prevented from doing any regular colour printing, because regular colour prints done with the Small Gamut inks, look kind of pasty. Retro. Like Lexmark prints of a few years ago.

The other thing that's been going on, I've taken 7 songs which I feel I've done enough with, and mastered them all onto a CD, and done a cover etc. It's about 26 and a bit minutes worth of music, made nice and loud with the Sony Oxford Dynamics and Inflator, with my colleague Si playing lead guitar on 4 of the 7. I'm pleased enough with it, and I need to move on to other things. I've got about 3 songs in the pipeline, but I want to leave a gap and maybe think about doing something slightly different. I'm torn between going for a stripped back acoustic sound or a hyped up loud guitar sound. Probably the former will prevail.

What else is new? Thinking seriously about moving house, taking it one step at a time. It's a good thing to do when you're not in a hurry to do it, I think. So if I start the process now, we might have moved by September or something like that. I'd rather do it now than wait till I'm forced into it due to circumstances beyond.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home