.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

March 12, 2004

Abraxazzzzzzzz

A friend at work loaned me Abraxas by Charlie Sultana. My problem with him has never been with his guitar playing... or even with the bongos and congas (what's the difference? I don't know. Don't speak to me of drums). No, the problem is always with the material, which is generally poor, and the singers, who are generally anonymous-sounding session singer types.

I know in recent years he's gone in for celebrity guests. I think this works one way around (i.e. Carlos guests on a Michelle Branch track, which I like), but not the other (a load of different people on one Santana record, because you're bound not to like most of them).

I despise Black Magic Woman. I hate the lyrics, I hate the tune, I hate the singer. The guitar on it is great, but what are you gonna do? It's like pouring chocolate sauce on dogshit.

The rest of the tracks on the album sound like warm-up material. They sort of start, never really get going, and then stop. It's muzak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home