.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

March 08, 2004

Softly Softly

Spent the weekend with a Canon Powershot A70, because there's some kind of reseller competition thing going on. I've used Canon models before, like the old G3 and a couple of others. The main thing I thought about the G3 was that it took a nice photo, but always left you feeling that the image was somewhat less sharp than it could have been.

The effect worked really well for some subjects, but with others you felt as if the lens was smeared with Vaseline or had a thin sheet of material pulled tight over the lens. In all other respects the camera works fantastically well, with beautifully exposed photos, even in difficult lighting conditions. My favourite test is always to take a picture of one of the kids against a large, bright window. With a Canon you never get an silhouetting effect, you get a well exposed face without an over exposed background, like magic.

The A70 did everything quite well, and I took some nice photos (none that will win the compo though I don't think), but when I see them side by side with pictures taken with my Minolta DiMAGE F300, there's a lack of sharpness there I don't think I could live with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home