.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

March 03, 2004

Spring

Cleared my desk today. The nature of my work is that I tend to get buried under a shitpile of brochures, leaflets, letters, printouts, and magazines. Especially magazines. This month I have received Digit, Macworld, MacUser, Guitarist, Total Guitar, Guitar Techniques, What Guitar, Total Digital Photography, Music Tech, Sound on Sound, Digital Photographer, Photography Monthly, and Ham and Eggs Daily.

Only joking about the last one.

This is not to mention the multiple copies of bunter brochures from bunters who have visited over the past year or so and tried to get me to stock their stuff.

So I filled 3 recycling bags with the brochures etc, and half a bookshelf with all the magazines, which you tend to keep for reference, unless you don't.

I operate a geological filing system, where it is easier to find stuff if I don't try to file it away. So If you ask me about something I looked at a couple of weeks ago, it will be, say, 2 thirds of the way down the pile(s) on my desk. Whereas if I put it in a drawer or tray, I would forget which one, and would spend longer looking for it. Anything you actually end up putting away, you might as well consign to an early bin.

I'm tempted sometimes to throw the brochures straight into the bin as soon as they are handed to me, in front of the hapless rep.

Have you heard of the internet? I can find all the information there, thanks, and so can our customers.

Actually, with the latest Guitarist magazine arriving today, that's a whole month gone by without a single enquiry for my Tele. So I don't know what to do now.

I still want a Variax, but I saw one of the 500 series in a local shop the other day, and it looked all right, nowhere near as bad as I thought it would look. The sunburst paint job is all right, and nicely transparent. So now I'm thinking I don't need to sell the Tele in order to afford a 700 series, which contains exactly the same modelled sounds as the 500, but looks cosmetically nicer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home