.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

March 02, 2004

"I hate computers"

Just got an email from one of our more expert technical experts:

I hate computers. I curse the fact that I was born in that window of human time between their invention and the general realisation that they are completely shite.

This is one in a long line of similarly themed emails. The theme being, "Computers are rubbish." Which they are. It takes the "garbage in - garbage out" philosophy to a new level. They've had long enough now, 20 years or so, to get the personal computer right, and they have failed dismally.

Within 15 years of the invention of the motor car, Ford had started producing the Model T (1909). We're still waiting for the Model T computer. The original iMac tried, but it was stymied by the innernet, which made everything (that had been getting simple) complicated all over again.

You're faced with the rubbishness of computers when you get involved with friends/relatives and their systems. Used as I am to the crapness, I make tiny compensations throughout my working day. But faced with a loved one who is trying to set something up for the first time, or do something apparently simple... holy jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home