.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

February 27, 2004

About a year and a half ago

I borrowed some Buffy videos from a friend. I tried to give them back a couple of months later (on the way home from work), but he was out when I called.

So he just contacted me this morning to ask for them back, he's leaving town soon, which sort of makes me feel guilty. It's bad enough not keeping in touch with people who live a few hours away by car or train, but to lose touch with someone who lives in the same postal area is disgraceful.

But it's the story of my life. I've probably mentioned it before, in the early days of this blog, but who can be bothered to look? I do lose touch with people. This in spite of the fact that I find it very easy to reeeeeel off pages of text or long or short emails. I can type pretty fast and I I let my fingers do the thinking.

But it always takes two to keep in touch, and I will eventually take a back seat, become a passenger in the relationship. If the other person takes their hands off the wheel, who am I to yell a warning from the back seat? Nobody likes a back seat driver. And that's the way it is with a true Spaniard.

So we'll meet up and I'll give the vids back, and he'll leave town, and though we both have easy access to email, that will probably be it. I'm realistic enough to know this. And to my eternal shame, he is actually one of those 40-ish year old friends that are so missing from my life.

I'm a craphead, obviously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home