.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

February 25, 2004

The Cure

The Cure for techno lust is often to see the thing in the flesh, as it were, to hold it and touch it, or just see it for what it is. Yesterday, I went down to the Focus on Imaging show at the NEC.

I was especially keen to view the Leica Digilux 2, which I thought was going to be the Holy Grail of digital cameras: fantastic lens, no film, full manual control. But I didn't reckon on it being huge, chunky, and clunky. It doesn't even have the elegance of, say, a Leica M-Series rangefinder camera. It looks like an early, early prototype of the first ever digital camera. Far too big to want to carry around, for me anyway.

Another huge one is the Sigma SD10, which uses interesting new sensor technology, but the raw pictures from the camera look crap until you use the supplied software to bring out the detail/colours.

The innernet isn't very good at giving you a sense of scale. It's a failing. Everything looks the same size. You can't try on shoes online (though I have bought some I only basically like two kinds of shoes which I know will generally fit me - other people would surelyu have more problems) and you can't test drive a car (again, I bought one online, but I knew what I wanted and I knew a test drive wasn't going to change my mind because I only ever buy VW). And of course, in spite of the attempts to sell groceries online, I'd not do it again (after trying it for the novelty) because I don't trust a shop employee to pick out a cut of meat or vegetables etc on my behalf.

So in terms of technolust for a new digical camella, I'm wondering whether the Panasonic equivalent to the Leica will be more elegant.

On the other hand, it was funny to see all these old boys having digital cameras explained to them by the Leica reps. The funniest moment of all was the old boy with extremely shaky hands (Parkinson's, possibly) approaching the Konica Minolta Rep with the A1, saying, "I'm interested in your anti-shake technology..."

I wanted her to say, "It's not that good."

I entered a prize draw to win a Digilux 2. The question is, in the unlikely event that I won it, would I keep it? I think, on balance, probably not. The pictures would have to be incredible, wouldn't they?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home