.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

June 01, 2004

Loser

Didn't win the lottery on Saturday, big surprise. Of the 6 sets of numbers I had, I managed to match 2 numbers on one line, and "less than two" on the others. What are the odds of that? Probably quite high.

Six people shared the triple rollover jackpot, which I dunno, in spite of the £3.5m, must be totally gutting. For a few minutes on Saturday night, you think you might have won £20m+ and then someone nicks £17m off you. So the feeling must be more like losing £17m than winning £3.5m.

Not that I'd really complain, mind.

The more I fantasise about winning, the more real it comes to seem, until I start to feel as if I've won, and can afford anything, all those trivial little things that you put off because the credit card bill is already hefty enough for one month. Broke a guitar string yesterday (capo on 7th fret fucked me up), and instead of just ordering a couple of sets from Stringsdirect, I ordered five.

That's millionaire-style guitar string buying, that is.

Obviously, if I'd won, I'd have bought all of the following:

  • VW Touareg, top of the line, all the extras, and a tankful of diesel.

  • House in the Vendee - and another in Milton Keynes

  • Variax Acoustic.
    (Funny thing, I don't fantasise about buying £2000 guitars like Lay Pauls and Custom Shop Fenders, because I know I'm not good enough to get the best out of them. I fantasise about the mandolin sounds on the Variax acoustic, so I don't need to put the capo on the 7th fret, ho ho.)

  • Top of the line Gaggia coffee machine and a tankful of diesel.


I tried to hit upon a fantasy digital camera, just to bring all my little obsessions in, but there I have problems.

The more cameras I try, the more the Minolta F300 comes to seem a benchmark in digicam history. No matter how slick and quick Minolta makes them, they cannot better the F300. No matter how many megapixels are thrown into the pot, the quality does not improve over 5 megapixels. And no matter how small they get, the F300 remains the perfect size.

I'm returning my G600 today. Not just because the F300 has been repaired, but because it's just too small and I'll never be able to take good pictures with it.

As a multi-millionaire, I'll take a watching brief. I'm just not going down the SLR route, because I can't be arsed with lenses and flash units etc. Nothing on the market is good enough at the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home