.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

June 01, 2004

Tesco in the 70s

Back in the days before out-of-town superstores, when the word "hypermarket" was a whispered wonder reported by those just back from France, supermarkets were much smaller places. Tesco was on High Street North, opposite what used to be Sainsburys and later became Bejam and then Iceland. Upstairs in Tesco they sold the non-food items, clothes and stuff.

What I'm trying to remember is the brand name of the Tesco clothes. It was like their version of the old M&S "St. Michael" brand. Not Trutex or Timex but something like that. I remember having a pair of jeans purchased for me there, and they came with a white belt, which I was very embarrassed about. Someone in the office just passed me wearing jeans in exactly the same style, with the white belt, and I wanted to call out "Tesco [blank]" which was the insult bandied around the school playground at the terminally unfashionable and poor... people like myself.

I have many childhood traumas concerning clothing and shoes. I was doomed to wear the home-made, the cheap, the sensible. It was all character-building stuff, obviously, but at the time I cursed the very name of Tesco and their cheap clothing brand. I bet kids are as cruel today over George from Asda. I was one of two kids left wearing short trousers in my junior school. And I can't even go into the horrors of home made trousers.

It wasn't all bad, of course. A home made jumper for school was always good to have - and I'm pretty sure that the shoes I chose for myself when I was paying for them out of my own money (earned in Bejams), were twice as embarrassing as any my parents forced me to wear.

But what was that brand name?

6 Comments:

  • Wasn't it "Delaware"?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:00 am  

  • Yes "delawear" I was just commenting on that on facebook

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:48 am  

  • Tecsac jeans

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:22 am  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger GOPhoenix, at 12:10 pm  

  • Not exactly a bang-up-to-date response, but it was Delamare!

    This links to a page which reflects that: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Tesco

    By Blogger GOPhoenix, at 12:12 pm  

  • Delaware -I was born in 1966 and apparently it’s where my Christian name originated from on a shopping trip whilst my mum was heavily pregnant.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home