.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

January 06, 2005

The Low Point Tuna Bake

If you buy a tin of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, you will likely find on its label a recipe for a quick and easy tuna bake which I can highly recommend. In my own version, I top the bake with low-fat mozzarella; and if you want to make it a bit special, a half tin of black olives mixed in is a good idea.

Made with a tin of tuna in sunflower oil, with low-fat mozzarella (one pack) and without the olives, using 200g pasta, the whole dish works out around 20 points. Which seems extreme, but a goodly adult portion is only around 1/3 of it - so I counted 7 points, and there's enough there for two adults and two kids to eat.

I reckon you could shave a couple of points (or more) by using tuna in brine and by looking out for a low-cal version of the Campbell's soup, though I suspicion that they only do that in the Cream of Chicken flavour. Still, tuna is the chicken of the sea.

Tonight, I'm going to attempt a kedgeree, hoping to bring it in at around 7 points per portion.

****
UPDATE
****
As it turns out, you can get 99% fat free "cream" of mushroom soup, so I have since tried the bake using this, and the tuna in brine. There was no low fat mozza in the house, so I did a gratin top with grated low fat cheddar and breadcrumbs. The overall verdict - not as satisfying to eat, and, honestly, for the points saved, not worth it. Stick to the orginal, it tastes better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home