.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

August 19, 2005

Yes please thankyou yes

10 minutes, 45 seconds.

That's how long it took my last night to notify my car insurance company that I'd changed address.

10 minutes 45 seconds of repeating myself slowly, and, in turn, asking the call centre employee to repeat himself slowly. First of all, we had an "hilarious" to-and-fro about identifying myself. Because, see, I couldn't remember whether I'd told them my new address or not.

And then, it seemed he just couldn't believe I'd moved house. Or couldn't believe that the change of address was immediate. And then it took him several minutes to key in the details, after he repeated them several times. And he repeated them while he was keying them in, getting some details wrong as he was typing, so that I had to correct him.

And another thing: I hate that bloody Tango Foxtrot Mango Dingo rubbish people in call centres do when you try to spell things to them. It's not fucking Z Cars is it? They do it in the same way that a snotty Starbucks Barista will correct your pronunciation of "Latte" and "Arseacinno." Yeah, my name is Robert. That's Rancid Old Bugger Eats Rabid Toads, you twerp.

He queried my annual mileage (which I've conservatively estimated at 30,000 miles), couldn't believe that. And tried to sell me breakdown cover, of course. It's in the script.

10 minutes, 45 seconds, all to change a postcode and the first line of my address.

Even now, I'm confident that some detail will be incorrect when the confirmation comes through.

I've got nothing against the Indian people or the Indian nation. Call centres are awful to deal with, whether they're in Scotland or Mumbay. A job's a job, and international workers of the world unite, is what I say.

But the problem with this is that a person in Mumbay has as much problem understanding my accent as I do his. And he doesn't know that MK stands for Milton Keynes, so it's not easy for him to understand UK postcodes. And I'm sure there are other bewildering aspects of UK geography and life for him to puzzle over, as he sits there. My point being that I wonder just how cost effective it really is to send a job to India, when it quadruples the time required to handle any call. Surely their productivity has dropped through the floor?

Capitalism, eh? Gotta love its wastefulness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home