.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

August 15, 2005

Apple Mighty Mouse

Just got my hand on one of the new Apple mice - what are they saying about it? "5 button function, 1 button feel." It's more or less the same shape and size as the old mouse, but it has a tiny scrolling nipple* (scrolls up/down as well as back/forth). Squeezy type buttons on the side perform a programmable function. Pressing the nipple is another programmable function.

You can continue to use it as a single-button style mouse, or programme a click on the right half as a right-button click.

It works, but they haven't addressed the key design failings of the previous mouse: its poor ergonomics, which an cause tendonitis-type injuries. I won't go as far as to say RSI, because that's just people crying "me too" when what they actually have is tendonitis, which is a different thing.

It's probably a bad time to try it, because my wrist is hurting at the moment (don't know why) like I've sprained it or something, and so the new mouse exacerbates that (in comparison to the Microsoft mouse I was using at work before), but I'm disappointed they didn't address the shape issue.

The other problem is the way the cable comes out the front. It may be reinforced compared to the old one, which tends to break at the join with the mouse. It seems very similar, but time will tell.

*It's not really a nipple. It's a ball. But I'll call it a nipple in order to upset Americans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home