.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

September 02, 2005

No fool like an old fool

I just shelled out 90-something quid for an oil change and filter service, plus a litre of super-duper long-life Castrol, because for months I've been topping up my car with "the wrong kind of oil."

This was not knowingly done. But when I first got my car, the Official VW Oil for it was so shockingly expensive that I immediately went looking for a cheaper alternative. I bought some Castrol oil for turbodiesels that had the equivalent Xw/X rating. I think it was 10w/40. And it did say it was for "advanced turbodiesel engines" which I assumed meant it was OK.

Back in June, I had to shell out well over £600 for a major 60,000 mile service and a cambelt change etc. But my car's on a "long-life" service interval, so I was hoping I could put another 18,000 miles or so on it before needing another.

Not so. A mere 6,000 miles later, it told me I needed another service. Turns out, I've been topping it up with the wrong oil all this time, which has shortened its service life. Now, I'm not sure if this is because of recent top-ups, or if the past two years of cheaper top-ups have done permanent and lasting component damage.

My car was already prematurely aged, with 5 years of miles in just over 2 years. Now, it appears, I've shagged it further by using the wrong oil.

Bother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home