.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

October 20, 2005

Apple Aperture - Photoshop Killer?

Apple's new application for pro photographers, Aperture, is iPhoto on steroids rather than a straight-ahead Photoshop killer.

But whereas Photoshop is now very much aimed at designers, I think Aperture pisses all over it as far as professional photography is concerned.* If you're stuck in the 80s or 90s and still want to do cheesy Photoshop collages or apply loads of filters (what the quick tour video calls "extreme stylistic effects"), the 'Shop will still be your bag.

But for uploading, organising, adjusting, correcting, optimising, archiving, printing and even publishing a set of images, Aperture has all the tools. As with iPhoto, you can easily produce a book or web page of images; but you can also customise the layout far more than you can in iPhoto.

The non-destructive editing is a killer feature - saving versions of your file not as huge bloated copies, but simply as sets of instructions, all of which are applied to the untouched original dynamically.

But where do they get these bozos who narrate these quick tour videos? Not just Apple, but every single company manages to find a complete drone, who could bore - not just for America - but for the Earth against the Rest of the Galaxy.

This particular bozo in obviously an Americanised Aussie, but he has an inability to pronounce "project" correctly, and cannot say "DVD" without sounding like he's had a stroke. And, scriptwriters, please: the word "leverage" is complete bollocks. Please stop using it.

*You will need the most powerful Mac on earth. Apple's "recommended" system is a Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 or faster with at least 2GB of RAM. More of your questions are answered here, in a later post. The official "minimum requirements" are listed here.

4 Comments:

  • Interesting. Do you already have access to this? I'm thinking it could be of interest, but only if it was still able to run on a laptop as well as a megamip monster. Having to get a dual G5 seems excessive when Photoshop works well on my Powerbook.

    I suspect Apple will need to do something about this. I do run FCP on the Powerbook with external Fwire disks, so I know theres some reasoanble welly in it.

    rashbre

    By Blogger rashbre, at 9:00 am  

  • Thx for the stories and comments on OS X, guys. I run Win 2000 here and it's a dream compared to Win 98 which I ran for years. I do use OS X regularly at my brother's place and I like it. Macs are fascinating and who knows, maybe one day I will even get one. My brother laughs and makes fun of me when I tell him about Windows problems. Those HW requirements seem pretty horrible though, eh?

    Enjoyed the piece on installing Linux, Win 2003 Server and OSX. Esp your difficulties with installing Linux. I thought Linux was getting easier to use? I actually downloaded a live CD to my drive but I have been to scared to do anything with it.

    This is the first decent article I have seen on this Aperture application. Apple always comes up with so many good ideas.

    Isn't it rather frightening that In Design and even iPhoto run slow on a friggin G5, for Chrissake? Whatever is wrong with OSX? Is it bloatware? Speaking of bloatware, though I support it, the recent iteration of Open Office seems to be running into some serious potential performance issues compared to MS Office. Related to opening huge spreadsheets and also to even just open the apps. I think there is a lot more work to be done there.

    The performance of Thunderbird and Firefox (I use both) continue to improve by leaps and bounds with each new iteration. Have u used these apps?

    By Blogger Robert Lindsay, at 2:00 am  

  • If you need the battery,you can visit here.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:30 am  

  • nice article

    thanks for this post

    By Anonymous website design New York City, at 1:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home