.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

December 08, 2005

Firefox 1.5 and Me

Been living with it for a week now, and I've formed some impressions which I'm sure you are dying to hear.

Things I like about it:

  • Fast
  • More compatible: i.e. I get full compose mode in Blogger and Gmail.
  • Importing bookmarks was easy

Things I don't like about it:

  • U-G-L-Y - the interface, compared to Safari, is horrible
  • Tabs - individual tabs don't have a close button. So you have to select a tab first and then command-W to close, or click the X button on the right; or (and this goes against the grain for a Mac user, even with a Mighty Mouse) right-click and choose Close Tab from the menu. Trust me, it all takes longer than the simple X you get on each tab with Safari
  • Unable to install a different theme. Given that I find it so ugly, I went looking for some different themes, to see if I could find something more aesthetically pleasing. I get a message saying I haven't enabled software installations. I click Edit Options in order to enable this feature, and I get... well, not nothing, but something that is invisible to the human eye. Something opens, but on my screen it displays as a sliver of white pixels, which sits on top of the open window uselessly.
  • Importing bookmarks was easy, but it did make a bit of a mess
  • Passwords - I just don't like the way it handles password-saving. It's clunky and intrusive, so that you might as well not save the pword in the first place
  • Oh, and although I get the full compose mode in Blogger and Gmail, I have lost the ever-so-useful global Mac OS X spellcheck.
  • All of which is a why of saying that Firefox, whilst web-standards compliant, is not compliant with the standards that matter to me most - which is the Mac OS X interface and feature set.
Given that the list of things I don't like is longer than the things I do, I'm on the cusp of giving up (again) and returning to Safari. Just when you think you've got out, they pull you back in.

1 Comments:

  • Please do. That way I don't have to feel guilty about just making do with Safari and occasionally thinking 'would it more rightoeus to use Firefox?'.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home