.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

January 23, 2006

Chess Fever

CJ has been playing chess at the after school club. She didn't really understand the full rules (it's amazingly complicated when you think about it), but I saw no reason not to encourage her in this, because if nothing else it might help her with one of the three Rs.

I knew there was a chess game included with Mac OS X, but there was no "absolute beginner" setting, so I downloaded Sigma Chess, which does have one.

I set it to Novice level 1 and set the computer's playing mode to kamikaze, thinking that might give her some chance of winning.

The problem is, I don't want her to get discouraged because she can't beat the computer. She might be able to best another 8 year old, especially if they're not really following the rules. I knew I couldn't teach her, because beyond the basics I'm completely crap at it.

Still, Friday night, I sat and played the computer on those settings, to see how hard it would be. To my amazement, I managed to beat the computer 2nd game in. I was left with just my queen and 4 prawns, but I managed to trap the opposing king into a corner, from which there was No Escape. I cannot describe to you the feeling of triumph.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home