.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

November 06, 2003

solar

I've decided, in my almost complete ignorance of physics, that the unseasonably warm temperatures we're experiencing (yesterday was pleasantly spring-like, or September if you prefer) are all to do with the high level of solar flare activity. You mark my words: the moon is unusually bright (if you can see it at all through the haze of firework smoke), the weather is warm. As soon as the sunspots/flares die down, we'll have a massive drop in temperature which will take everyone by surprise.

Except me.

Scientists will argue that the earth's atmosphere and weather systems are chaotic, complex, and it's impossible to directly relate solar activity to earth temperature. But I say, pah, it's common sense, innit?

Talking of fireworks, had to watch them from the upstairs window last night, because Elodie is a scaredy cat when it comes to loud bangs. Which was great, really. Saved me £1.50, and we had a good view across the park to the display, and I didn't get mud on my shoes, which is nice.

Even while the ever-excellent display was going on in the Park, there were still some local dummies who chose to let off their own. So you'd see these enormous colourful blooms in the middle of the park, and pathetic, wheezy little fizzes going off over people's houses. Why? It's not just that certain people have lost all sense of self-restraint when it comes to letting off fireworks willy nilly and throwing them at old ladies and cars (doesn't anybody watch Blue Peter anymore?), but home fireworks are a waste of money and effort. They're rubbish, and they cost a freaking fortune. Even sparklers are rubbish these days. But I still love the smell.

The overwhelmingly depressing thing for me is that summer fireworks are better. Sure, it's unseasonably warm, and the sky was clear last night, but more often in November it's damp and cold, windy and dark, and the clouds are low in the sky. Best fireworks I ever experienced were those in Champaign-Urbana on 4th July 1992. It was so lovely to lie on my back in the football field, drinking a pokey pola and watching fireworks in the summer sky. Can't we celebrate Midsummer's Day with FireWorks and just light fires on Samhain, like we're supposed to?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home