.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

June 09, 2004

Google Calculator

While I've been half aware that you could perform calculations with Google, and I've known about some of the other features (like searching within domains and finding pages that link to another page, or using the language tools), I'd never tried to use the calculator before today.

Just reading the latest MacUser with its tips for OS X feature (I guess they think Google is an OS X feature because it is built into Safari), prompted me to try. Wahey! It's the best thing I've discovered on the internet for, literally, days.

It's not so much getting it to do 2*2 and other bits, nor even mathematically esoteric stuff like , er..., things I can't even remember what they're called. But asking it to tell you what "half a cup" is in ml: now that is fantastic. Because how many US-based recipes are there on the innernet? And now you can just say put "half a cup in ml" into the google search and it'll tell you (118 ml). Or 15 miles in km or 1973 in roman numerals.

Fantastic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home