.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

June 03, 2004

Elloplane

The girls have been away for a week, visiting a new addition to the family in France, so I've been on my own. Only now approaching being able to get through a day without feeling vaguely guilty, leading the simple life of the singleton -- and the week is nearly over.

We've all spoken on the phone a few times. Didi was very excited about going on the elloplane, a first for her. It's basically just a bus in the sky, with slightly less legroom, but then she gets excited about going on a bus, too, so that's all right.

I hate being on my own. I mean, I feel the need to go off on my own to do things when other people are around, but when I am on my own, I almost hate to do the same thing. It's something to do with leaving an empty room behind me. Sometimes I leave the telly or the radio on, just for there to be some noise in the room. And I don't like to leave the empty house behind when I go out for a bike ride. It's funny, because I haven't got a lot to say for myself, and I can be fairly autonomous; it's not as if I'm used to having someone else to do the cooking for me. I'm just not good at being alone, and left to it for long, would start having Suicidal Thoughts.

It being summer, there being B+g Br*ther, there is nothing worth watching on TV. Things are slowly running out. ER finished last night, in much the same way as it has finished before. Didn't they end one season with Luca having some kind of car incident? Last night it was Twat, or Pratt, whatever his name is, getting into some Road Rage on the Chicago mean streets. Those people are so unlucky. And Angel and NYPD Blue are shown so late, I can't be arsed. I tape them sometimes, but I never watch the tapes, and I forget which one they were on, because none of my tapes are labelled.

So I've been trying to read; currently, Superluminal by Tony Daniel, which is not very good. I enjoyed the one before that, Metaplanetary, but this one just isn't doing it for me. Besides, someone already used the title Superluminal (Vonda Macintyre), and I hate it when titles get recycled. It gives you a strange feeling, like they've run out of nouns. It's like running out of oil. The price of nouns goes up, and they'll have to start using verbs to name things instead.

So I just stare into space. Or I put on a Buffy episode (working my way through season 2 on DVD). Or I go and look in the fridge.

On Saturday the elloplane comes home and all will be well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home