.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

November 12, 2004

The Pope of Palestine

So, I may have forgotten someone, but Arafat seems to be the 3rd in the current Celebrity Death season (John Peel, Emlyn Hughes, Yasser Arafat).

Interesting to see some nations falling over themselves to see just how minor an official they could get away with sending to the funeral. in my office, when there's an event that nobody wants to go to, it's generally the case that "last in, first out" applies. The newest guy gets sent, nobody cares, and honour is satisfied.

He was like a Pope, really, Arafat. Not really a leader of a nation, not royalty or a politician. More of a catch-all, all-encompassing figure for people to rally round. Like the Pope.

I mean, he was born in Cairo, which makes him an Egyptian in my book, not a Palestinian. And the Pope is Polish but lives in Vatican City. Whatever. Be like me joining some survivalist anti-government group or cult in the States, and fighting against the Feds, when in fact I was born in Bedfordshire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home