.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

October 14, 2005

Giving up Work to go Full-Time

I'm about to hand in my resignation, because it's time to go full-time at my other job, which has been eating increasing amounts of my time lately. Yes, trawling round the web correcting people, finding people to disagree with, is really a full-time job.

There's so much of it out there. People who think Shrewsbury is pronounced Shroosberry; people who think scones is pronounced scohnez; people who don't think Bob Dylan is a genius; people who don't realise that turning a newspaper into a tabloid makes it, well, a tabloid; people who pronounce pikelet as pancake; I could go on.

Every single one of these people is in dire need of immediate correction, or their lives will be blighted forever. And it needs to be done in the most insulting way possible: so they realise the error of their ways and don't do it again.

Why this role has fallen to me, I don't know. Perhaps other people are just too scared of the truth to spell it out, perhaps they're just too timid, polite, whatever. But all this People Being Wrong cannot be allowed to continue, before it turns into something worse. Think of me as a one-man focus group.

I don't expect thanks. I've given up expecting thanks. I suppose people are just to shocked when they learn that they were wrong; by which time I've moved on anyway, satisfied at a job well done. I will endure, because some things, you just cannot allow to go uncorrected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home