.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

December 22, 2005

Bad Ideas in Publishing

This morning I received an email from a pro-audio magazine, publicising their new on-line, all-digital edition. This is something I have, up till now, received through the post, in print.

I occasionally read bits of it, scanned the news, scanned a couple of reviews. Nothing much.

Do I want to "click the link" in the email and read a flash-based version?

First of all, "click the link" doesn't work in my email client of choice. So I had to open the mail in another client. Then I had to visit the web site and view the huge flash file, "complete with advertiser links."

Er, no. I'll read on-line articles of interest. I'll read blogs. But I won't hand around for a high-bandwidth, all-singing, all-dancing, animated-page-turning, Flash monstrosity. Ever.

1 Comments:

  • It's always been a thing for me with electronic media that thay are always always too fucking "linear" when it comes to user experience.

    You just can't browse in the same way. And there's no hope of serendipity.

    And scrolling up and down the same page in order to see the whole page? What the fuck is that all? It's like having tunnel vision.

    By Blogger SimonHolyHoses, at 9:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home