.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

January 11, 2006

Guardian: The Great British crisp challenge

This is the sort of thing that sends some Guardian/Observer readers into paroxysms of rage and indignation (the "Share a biscuit with an Ethiopian child" types), but I find it quite amusing.

I've grown to disdain posh crisps - the flavours are usually too strong, and it can be quite nasty if you eat them on a long car journey (thank goodness for chewing gum). I like traditional Smoky Bacon and Salt and Vinegar, but I hate the nation's favourite, Cheese and Onion. When I rule the world, people who like Cheese and Onion will be forced to share them with Ethiopian children.

4 Comments:

  • When you really start to question people about there favourite flavourites very few actually like Cheese and Onion.

    It's more of a "that'll-do" flavour.

    I also think those crisps used to give me migraines.

    By Blogger SimonHolyHoses, at 6:15 am  

  • "their" I mean

    By Blogger SimonHolyHoses, at 6:15 am  

  • The most confusing thing for me is that I think cheese and onion should be green packs, and salt and vinegar should be blue.

    By Blogger bot37363838, at 6:23 am  

  • It's branding innit. Cheesy Blue and Green Swarfega are Walkers trademarks probably, whereas other such as Smiths go by the colours you mention.

    In Nottingham, even in the 60s, Walkers was the dominant crisp in the shops.

    There's probably an example of globalisation in this somewhere.

    At one time you could maybe tell where somebody came from based on their expectations of colour/flavour combinations, whereas now the mighty Walkers have crushed all the competition.

    By Blogger SimonHolyHoses, at 6:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home