.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

January 17, 2006

My Childhood Playground

I've been playing with Google Earth, and went to look at the house I was born and grew up in, which looks like a bit of a building site, close-up.

My old house is at the top of the picture, with the railway line running below it. Over the railway and I was on the Blow's Downs, including the old chalk quarry, which was the spring/summer/autumn playground for me and my family and friends. In the middle of what we called the chalk pit was the Bull's Head, a great big boulder of chalk on top of a knoll, which is now mostly eroded to nothing. You can see the paths worn into the chalk, the same ones I ran up and down.

On the far side of the chalk pit, bottom of the picture, you could sit and look down on that part of town, or slide down the steep-sided paths on your arse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home