.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

January 13, 2006

Fingers very much crossed

It's been a long time, but I'm hopin' and a prayin' that I will finally see the back of the little Polo I've been driving since my Passat was smashed by a lorry, back on December 1st.

This Polo 3-cylinder 1.2 is an absolutely shite little car, neither nippy nor economical, which are the two things you want most from a small car. It's flabby, skittery, scary, and expensive to run. How expensive? Well, I've been hoping to get rid of it for the past few days, so I've not been filling the tank, something you have to do every couple of days anyway.

Wednesday night, close to home, the reserve fuel light pinged on, so I stopped at a BP station to put some in. I arbitrarily decided to put in £20-worth (£20.14, matter of fact), which is, y'know, just over 20 litres, especially at BP prices. The fuel gauge showed it about 3/4 full.

Anyway, that was Wednesday. Thursday night, close to home, again, the reserve fuel light pinged on. I'd driven between 160 and 170 miles, one trip to and from work, and it seems incredible but it had slurped up £20-worth of petrol. Which means it's been costing me that much every day to drive it to work: £80 a week, because I work from home on Fridays.

How much does it cost in my Passat? Diesel is more expensive, but I generally only have to fill it once every 4 days, which means around £50 a week. In other words, the "economical" so-called city car costs £30 a week extra.

Which is before you get to how fucking scary it is to drive on the motorway, especially in the wind and the rain. Or how hard it is to drive in traffic, because of the high biting point on the clutch and the brake pedal being about an inch higher than the accelerator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home