.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

February 01, 2006

Things to do in 1973

Over at The Guardian's Organ Grinder blog, there's a bit of a discussion about Life on Mars which has kind of morphed into a "things to do in 1973" thing.

My own suggestion was just to stick a small amount of money in a savings account, so that it would be worth however many times more in 2006 - without worrying about the ups and downs of the stock market and house prices. Someone else suggests buying a house - forgetting that this would be as hard on 1973 police pay as it would be on 2006 police pay.

David Bishop suggests, among other things:

"See the Ziggy Stardust tour.
Outlaw knit shirts.
Form the Sex Pistols.
Create a science fiction comic and call it 2000 AD..."

I think I'd write a gushing newspaper column about an up-and-coming rock star called Bruce Springsteen - which would lead me to eventually becoming his manager. I would then convince him to "go country."*

(If you're old enough) Would you find yourself and give yourself some strong advice? And would you listen? I'm sure I wouldn't listen. But I'd strongly advise myself to forget all the arty farty stuff about wanting to be a writer and learn to do something useful, like how to install a bidet.**

*This is, of course. a joke.
**This is also a joke.***
***And this.

4 Comments:

  • "Plant a tree in '73"

    "Plant some more in '74"

    I had a wonderful 1973. One of those years that is painted rosy in my mind, and during which it was forever sunny.

    I also got an xmas chard from a girl called Michelle Flint, who I thought was lovely.

    By Blogger SimonHolyHoses, at 5:05 am  

  • "card" rather than "chard", which is a vegetable that looks a bit like rhubarb.

    However, I would, have been happy had she presented me with a nice bouquet of Swiss Chard stems anyway.

    By Blogger SimonHolyHoses, at 5:11 am  

  • I planted a Scots Pine. My brother planted a Rowan, but it died. Probably the chalky soil. The Scots Pine thrived, though, and it was enormous by the time my parents moved out. I'd like to think it's still there, but you can't see it on Google Earth.

    By Blogger bot37363838, at 5:11 am  

  • I planted a Sallow in the garden where we lived.

    It was 11 inches high.

    Last time I went there (three years ago), for purposes of morbidity, I was pleased to see that it had grown into a tree that was higher than the house.

    By Blogger SimonHolyHoses, at 5:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home