.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

February 01, 2006

Things to do in 1973

Over at The Guardian's Organ Grinder blog, there's a bit of a discussion about Life on Mars which has kind of morphed into a "things to do in 1973" thing.

My own suggestion was just to stick a small amount of money in a savings account, so that it would be worth however many times more in 2006 - without worrying about the ups and downs of the stock market and house prices. Someone else suggests buying a house - forgetting that this would be as hard on 1973 police pay as it would be on 2006 police pay.

David Bishop suggests, among other things:

"See the Ziggy Stardust tour.
Outlaw knit shirts.
Form the Sex Pistols.
Create a science fiction comic and call it 2000 AD..."

I think I'd write a gushing newspaper column about an up-and-coming rock star called Bruce Springsteen - which would lead me to eventually becoming his manager. I would then convince him to "go country."*

(If you're old enough) Would you find yourself and give yourself some strong advice? And would you listen? I'm sure I wouldn't listen. But I'd strongly advise myself to forget all the arty farty stuff about wanting to be a writer and learn to do something useful, like how to install a bidet.**

*This is, of course. a joke.
**This is also a joke.***
***And this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home