.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

October 31, 2003

Sayings

"That might be important to you" -- Ted Moult.
"And that's the way it is with a true Spaniard" -- Woody Allen.
"That's easy for you to say"
"I've told you a million times not to exaggerate."
"I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken" -- Roy Thirlwall.
"Everything's the opposite of what it is" -- Harry Nilsson (according to John Lennon).

We had a schoolground moment walking up the road from Chris's Caff the other day. The street we work on is used as a giant skip by the local "community," and as well as burned out cars being cut-and-shut by local (and completely above board I'm sure) spray-and-repair shops, you'll see huge piles of discarded rubbish, builders' rubble, and scrap. There was even a turf delivery lorry once I saw just sweeping the mud off the back of his flatbed onto the road. Oh, and not forgetting the caravan that was dumped, then stripped, then burnt out.

What with the usual dog eggs and detritus, it's no surprise if someone thinks they've trodden in something. Neil stopped to look at his shoe and said, "Have I trod in dog shit? Oh, I think it's mud."

There was a few seconds pause, just the right length, before Simon said, "Dog mud?"

We laughed over it, and Hemingway punched me in the nose. (Woody Allen again.)

'Course, there's always the possibility (in this area) that it's actually human mud. But best not think about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home