.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

November 07, 2003

Basic

My Washburn XB120 arrived today. It's a nice looking thing (made in China*, in spite of the Stars and Stripes waving all over the Washburn web site). The transparent red finish looks much better than it does in the picture, and even unplugged it seems to have a good tone, and plenty of punch. This is in contrast to the Squier PBass I recently borrowed, which I could't even hear when it was unplugged (40-year-old male hearing being my speciality). Battery included, too (for the active pickups), as well as a cheap cable, which is unusual.

Comes in a smart cardboard case (I jest). I took it out and leaned it against something for a couple of seconds, which means I've already dropped it of course.

I bet Babette makes me wait until my birthday. On the subject of which, we're having a party for ChloƩ tomorrow, which will be the first one we've done for her which isn't just family. Only two hours, but it looms large over the weekend like a thunderhead.

*There's a general guitar-related bigotry at large, which argues that American made guitars are always better. I don't share this, and don't think I'm missing a nice warm feeling from having a "Made in the USA" sticker on it. Having seen the quality of American white goods, hi fi equipment, etc., I don't think it's much of a recommendation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home