.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

November 06, 2003

Drusilla

I always think blokes who call themselves "Drew" are having a laugh. If you're called Andrew and you want people to call you Drew it's like wanting to be called Bert if your name is Robert. Or Oy if your name is Roy.

Drew, they want you to think, is a more interesting person than a mere Andrew would have been. Or an Andy. But I always think Drew should be short for Drusilla, as in Buffy.

There weren't any Drews when I was growing up. You were Andy or you were nothing. If you didn't like Andy, then you were your surname, like it or lump it. It's always interesting to me how people decide, at a certain age, to tell people to call them something new. I imagine it happens at University age. How long does it take to get used to the new name?

Anybody tells me his name is Drew will be called Drusilla for the rest of his life, I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home