.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

December 15, 2003

Random

As all readers of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance know, the intermittent fault is one of the biggest gumption traps there is.

Saturday morning, woke up and switched on the heating. We don't do it on a timer; we set the thermostat around 16 degrees before going to bed, so if it gets very cold in the night, it'll come on. Otehrwise, we switch it on and off manually. So I switched on the heating, and I heard the boiler fire up.

Half an hour later, I put my hand on a radiator and it was still cold. The boiler lock out indicator is lit up, meaning some safety feature has cut in, or something.

I tried Reset a few times, switched it off and back on at the mains. Ran through the boiler startup sequence. All to no avail. It's out of warranty, so I phoned the fitter, who asked me to try all the things I'd already tried. He'd do his best to get to us on Monday. In the meantime, we have just the gas fire in the living room, an electric shower, and the cooker in the kitchen.

Saturday was cold. In the middle of Sunday afternoon, with the temperature falling and set to fall further, I tried Reset again, on the off-chance.

Boiler fired up perfectly, and worked for the rest of the day, and this morning. The fitter came today and charged us fifty quid for a quick service, but otherwise did nothing.

Once again, none the wiser about this indoor plumbing business. How long will it be before there are considered too many plumbers, and market forces drive the call-out charges down? Not holding my breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home