.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

December 17, 2003

Superb

I had call to test an Adrenalinn (by Roger Linn Design) last night. It was one of the original, blue ones, not one of the new yellow ones. But still fantastic fun.

I didn't have time to open the manual and learn how to use it properly, and I doubt I'd ever have the patience to programme a 32 step sequence of drum patterns and effects, which is what you can do with it, but just plugging the thing in and dialing up a couple of the presets gave me a couple of hours of happy fun.

It's hard to describe what it does. In simple terms, you don't need to be a good guitarist (good for me), because all that's required is one chord per bar (or less than that), and the filters and modulation effects do the rest, in synch to a drum beat. A whole song to the one drum beat could be a bit monotonous, which is why you'd want to programme a sequence, so that the pattern changes (and the effect on the guitar).

I'd recommend this to anyone who wants something just that little bit different. My one criticism of it is that it could do with multiple outputs, so that you could record the drum beat seperately from the guitar. It's something they could have addressed with the Adrenalinn II, but haven't. I guess the trick is to treat the guitar drums as a single effect, and record other percussion and guitar separately.

I'm certainly more alive to the possible uses of delay and modulation effects now. Where is that copy of Spektral Delay?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home