.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

January 23, 2004

About this time of year...

I sing a little song...

January
(ooh ooh)
Sick and tired, you keep hangin' on me
You make me sad with your eyes
You're telling me lies...

I always hated that song, but I'll never forget it, because it reminds me of JS, my first teenage girlfriend. Or you could say, my 42nd girlfriend, because the relationship only lasted 40 seconds. Boom boom.

Anyway, that song was in the charts at the time, and she decided it was "our song," which made me want to pukevomit.

It happened at her birthday party. I was at the time obsessed with JB (and it took me the best part of a year to win her over, but I got her in the end). So I spent the whole party trying to cop off with JB, finding that my strategy of poking her in the arse with a cocktail stick (sans sausage) didn't work. So by the time JB got off with someone else, it was just me and JS.

It's been a helluva week, and I'm quite ready for winter to be over and the days to start getting longer, so I can get out on my bike for a while when I get home from work. The weather forecast is not looking good, so I expect I'll be sick and tired of February too.

A hectic week, we launched our new web site this week, and I've been dealing with the fallout from that, the bugs, the complaints, the abusive emails, the occasional friendly comment.

We got a complaint from a customer (a designer) who said the new site was HORRIBLE in capital letters. At worst, I'd say our new site is inoffensively neutral, which is what it's designed to be. We want people to buy stuff, not admire the design. Anyway, I went, out of interest, to visit this designer's site, and of course the first thing I saw was "Loading..." as the sucky Flash animation loaded. The whole site was done in poo coloured flash, as far as I could see.

And I thought to myself, no matter how HORRIBLE you think our web site is, at least it doesn't have any Flash on it. Because I fucking hate that stuff. Designers who use Flash should be put on a spaceship with all the telephone sanitation engineers (as in the hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) and sent off into the void.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home