.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

January 14, 2004

two takes

I hear friends complain that they never have enough time to make any music on their gear. This always interests me. For years I seemed to have more time than anyone else. I was able to reply to letters, at length, hit essay deadlines, and still watch too much TV and get through novels and books lickety split.

Then I had kids, and email took over from letters (a huge disappointment), and I got a proper job. But still. Given that I'm lucky to get half an hour in the morning to work on music, and and hour or so at the weekend if I'm lucky, I don't consider myself exactly blessed with time. Still, I suppose I have the ability to get down to something and not faff around too much. For me, this is the beauty of Pro Tools. Even in it's native, LE edition, it is pretty reliable.

So here's an update on
the tune I was talking about. This morning, I recorded a clean, more accurate, acoustic track (with a tuned guitar), and followed up with a new electric track.

I'm straight out of the two takes school, and think that anything after the second take sees a diminishing of inspiration. Obviously without ever having come close to the quality of one of Dylan's best. But still, I've always been able to live with the odd duff note and imperfection. I'm not even bothered about fine editing in Pro Tools. Life is too short for that kind of thing. This is particularly true in this case, because I'm trying to maintain the feel of the rough demo. Tomorrow, being Thursday, I won't be able to do anything, but come Friday, I'll maybe do the proper vocal, and then, possibly, a little bit of harpmonica.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home