.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

September 09, 2004

Park It

Australians have a lot of words for vomit (noun and verb), don't they? I mean, there are a fair few native (UK) words, but we've also adopted loads from down under.

I haven't known many Australians, try to avoid them where possible, but I was taught art history by one one time. She was a graduate student and I was around the same age, what used to be called a mature student, though the ones I knew weren't very. You know who I'm talking about.

Anyway, we went out for a movie and a meal, nothing fancy. We were sitting down in front of our whatever-it-was and curly fries and she said, conversation-opening gambit, "How many words do you have for vomit?"

Not many, as it turned out, as she reeled off a list of her own. My favourite was the verb, to park the tiger. I've often wondered how they came up with that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home