.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

January 31, 2005

Do You Feel Lucky, Punk?

Well, do ya? Because I do. I had such a lucky week. Not the big kind of luck, so there's no need to hate me.
  • First of all, there was the Letter of the Week in the Radio Times, which is a small point, but points win prizes

  • Then there was the coming of the Caramac Kit Kat, another small point, but it made me happy and allowed me to spread joy by giving them away to my colleagues and friends. We'll gloss over the diet issue for now

  • Saturday night, I won another tenner on the lottery. Again, not the "exciting news" their email indicated, but better than a kipper down the trousers

  • Sunday, I found a gold ring in the garden. Looks like a wedding band, which is going to have a story attached to it, isn't it? Either thrown out in a fit of pre-divorce pique, or lost in the potato peelings and thrown into the compost, or simply dropped by a magpie who bit off more than he or she could chew.

It all adds up to a peaceful, easy feeling. And you know what? The strange thing about this run of good luck was it started when I began, in a slightly self-conscious way to engage myself in positive self-talk in the morning on the way to work. I've known about this sort of self-help therapy for many years, and used it once before, when I was at university. It was particularly useful in meeting deadlines, and I also used a sign on the wall that read, "Just Do It" (hmm where have I heard that before?). So when I glanced up from my work, ready to stare into space for a while, there was the sign. It worked. I never missed a deadline, and I got a First.

You just have to say things like, "It's going to be a good day, a good week, I'm in a good mood," etc. Nothing fancy. Just a simple, positive message, repeated several times. Nothing negative, nothing like, "It's not going to be a bad day," or (in terms of the sign mentioned above), "Stop messing around." Because a negative message just reinforces your negativity.

Anyway, I'm starting to sound like some kind of low-rent guru, so I'll leave it there. But you too could find a discarded wedding ring in your compost heap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home