.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

June 17, 2005

Crap Actors

Having run through 3rd Rock From the Sun in double-quick time, ITV2 have started to show Spin City (7 pm nightly, watch out for weekend showings), which seems as fresh and funny now as it did in 1996. In a sitcom world dominated by sofas and coffee bars, Spin City was set in a workplace, and featured characters who unwound in an actual bar, drinking actual alcohol.

Michael J. Fox is superb in it, demonstrating a real gift for both physical comedy and comedy timing, signs of his veteran status as a TV sitcom star. And the excellent supporting cast make it a superb show, with moment after moment to treasure. In the Valentines episode shown a couple of nights ago, the press officer Paul (played by Richard Kind) issued one of the all-time-great lines. Attempting to create a romantic evening for his date, he first almost knocks her out with a too-vigorous dance move, then punctures her mouth with the thorns from a rose he puts in her mouth, then poisons her with strawberries, to which she's allergic. After a night spent in the hospital, he encourages her to have a sip of his drink. "I know that taste..." she says. Paul turns from the bar and says,

"It's a daiquiri... I'll call an ambulance."

Which is somehow a funnier line with The Fast Show's "I'll get my coat," in mind.

Some lines do date it. In the mayor's 50th Birthday episode, Stuart (Alan Ruck) shares the news that he's been playing "phone tag" with (i.e.stalking) Michelle Pfeiffer.

And I thought... mmmm. You don't hear about her much these days. I think the last thing I saw her in was What Lies Beneath and I've been out of touch since then, which is not her fault. What Lies Beneath also starred that awful actor Harrison Ford, who didn't listen to his mother who told him his face would get stuck like that if the wind changed.

Who else is bad? Jude Law, he's awful (and overexposed). Clive Bloody Owen. Marlon Brando, Basil Brush, Keanu Reeves, River Phoenix... I'd name others but I don't know their names. They all look the same to me these days.

I forgot to add that quite the best thing about Spin City is the fabulous Connie Britton, who is my secret girlfriend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home