.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

January 18, 2006

Cresta Run

It was a bit Twilight Zone on the motorway this morning. My preferred speed is fair-to-middling, so I'm usually in the position of - as you might expect - overtaking a number of slower vehicles, and in turn being overtaken by all the Busy and Important people.

This morning was weird for two reasons. First of all, it was like I had a magic force field around me, and nobody got in my way and slowed me down. Which meant I was able to maintain the same, steady speed (apart from the 40 mph bit in the roadworks) for the entire length of my motorway journey. Slower cars would pull over long before I thought about braking or lifting.

The second weird thing was that, from Junction 19 to Junction 26 - which is 40-50 miles, around 40 minutes on the road - not a single vehicle overtook me. Not in the roadworks at J20, when I set the cruise control to the 40 mph speed limit and just rolled along, unmolested, and not after that, either, even on the hill after J21a, which usually sees a comedy queue forming in the outside lane, as all the B and I people vie to get past each other.

I was listening to The Wallflowers, which may have had something to do with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home