.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

February 02, 2006

How Will You Live?


If you were to win the £125 million Euromillions jackpot, how would you live? This is silly money. I was talking to my sister about it the other day, and I said something about having a crash pad in London so you wouldn't have to worry about late trains etc. on nights out, and would have somewhere to park your Prius. She said, "But I wouldn't want to buy a place in London."

I said, "You'd have a hundred million pounds. A million pound property in London, no matter how little you used it, would cost you some of the interest you'd earn each year."

But when I ask myself how I really would want to live, I come to a very simple image. In my ideal life, I'd get up in the morning, have a cup of tea, and just go down to the beach for a wander, to see what had washed up in the night. I'd be like Fulton Mackay in Local Hero. It's the beach-combing life for me.

On my beach, I'd have a little hollowed out bit surrounded by stones for my driftwood fires, and I'd have a whale skeleton covered in oilskin or whatever to use for a little shelter. I'd grow my hair so it could flutter in the sea breeze, and I'd have a big tin of biscuits and a can of peaches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home