.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

March 10, 2006

Fashionista?

Lisa suggests that we now "fess up those albums that you actually don't like that much, but which you have flaunted to acquire kudos from your mates."

Honestly? I have never done this. I've never really had those kind of mates, for a start. Nobody was ever going to be impressed by the fashionability of my record collection. As Roy said when he visited recently, "I never quite believed you when you said you liked this stuff."

I have, however bought a lot of things that I thought I would like and didn't, but then so has everyone, so that's not a list. I've also recanted a few times, gone against my instinctive judgement and bought things (usually years after a phase) I'd always known I wouldn't actually like, trying to force myself to get into it. So here is my list of stuff that turned out to be over-rated, but none of it likely to impress any of my mates.

1. Gram Parsons - GP / Grievous Angel. After reading so much about him, I couldn't help but be disappointed at his annoying voice and plodding arrangements and, frankly, not-very-good songs.

2. Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo. Ditto the above.

2. John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band - It's RUBBISH! Cheer up, John, it's not all bad!

3. Paul McCartney - McCartney - it's RUBBISH! Finish a song before recording it, will ya?

4. George Harrison - All Things Must Pass - *Yawn*

5. Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind etc. - Sorry. No matter what people say, the Dylan had a beautiful voice, and I just cannot bear to listen to it when it's shot.

6. The Jam - All Mod Cons. My sole attempt to get into modern music, back when this was modern music. A bit of a con, I thought, because it was thin-sounding and full of filler.

7. Small Faces - a Greatest Hits set. Kind of liked it for a little while, but not.

8. The Rolling Stones - Any of their albums in the Brian Jones era. They had some good singles, but their long players left me cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home